Features and Highlights
On Spotlight: Energy-Saving Tips for Winter
Here you can find timely information guaranteed to make your life simpler. Find everything from seasonal energy-saving tips, to hot button issues in electric safety. This month, we're focusing on tips to help you save on your energy bills this winter.
- Turn down your thermostat from 72°F to 68°F for 8 hours a day and you'll save as much as 10% on energy costs. Every degree you lower your thermostat could save you about 3% on your heating bill.
- Winterize windows with weather stripping (for all moveable joints) and caulk (for non-moving parts). Also, install a window kit to the inside of your windows to help keep cold air out and warm air in.
- Change filters once a month. A well-maintained heating system can save money and increase the comfort level in your home.
- When you cozy up to a crackling fire on a cold winter day, you may be losing more heat than you are generating if your fireplace is not airtight.
- Inspect ductwork for any air leakage. If you do feel air leaking at joints, use silver metal duct tape to seal them. You could save up to 10% of your heating costs by eliminating those leaks.