For Immediate Release
Pepco Urges Customers to Prepare As Well
Washington 's first major snow storm of the season is expected to hit the nation's capital area this weekend with total accumulations that could exceed 12 inches in some locations. Though Pepco doesn't expect major outages, extra crews are scheduled to work. When road conditions become treacherous due to heavy snow accumulations, Pepco will equip vehicles with chains. Any traveling will be challenging. To report outages please call 1-877-Pepco-62, 1-877-737-2662.
Pepco urges customers to stay safe during the upcoming weather and want to remind our customers to prepare in advance. Here are some tips:
· Assemble emergency "storm kits." Include a battery-powered radio or television, flashlight, a first-aid kit, battery-powered or windup clock, extra batteries, non-perishable food, bottled water, special needs items, such as necessary medications, and a list of important and emergency phone numbers.
· Maintain a supply of extra blankets.
· Ensure that all household members have a warm coat, gloves, a hat and water-resistant boots.
· Make sure the household has a telephone with a cord or cell phone to use as a backup. Cordless telephones require electricity to operate, and won't work if there is an outage.
· Identify a place to obtain emergency shelter in case of an extended outage.
Pepco also strongly urges everyone to follow some basic safety tips to save lives:
· Stay away from downed lines and report them immediately.
· Never attempt to remove trees or limbs from any utility line. Assume all objects touching a power line are energized.
· If using a portable generator during a power outage, always operate it outside. Do not operate them near doors and windows or in garages to avoid deadly carbon monoxide from entering the house.
It is important that customers with special needs or their caregivers take responsibility to make arrangements ahead of time to prepare for potentially long-lasting interruptions in service.
Additional information may be found at www.pepco.com.
Pepco, a subsidiary of Pepco Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: POM), delivers safe, reliable and affordable electric service to more than 750,000 customers in Maryland and the District of Columbia.